The following tutorial will lock the Apple TV device into ‘single app mode’ or what we like to call, digital signage mode.
It instructs the Apple TV to automatically open the POMP digital signage app when the device is booted, and not allow the app to be closed.
Step 0 — Requirements
- USB-C cable (Apple TV 4th Gen only) / Ethernet cable (Apple TV 4th Gen and Apple TV 4K (5th & 6th Gen))
- Apple Configurator 2 installed on your Mac
Step 0.5 — Pairing your Device via Ethernet — only for users of Ethernet pairing
- Your Mac and Apple TV are connected to the same network
- Apple TV is connected to the network using Ethernet
- The device should be on and displaying “Pair Your Remote” screen. To do so start with an Apple TV that hasn’t been set up, or erases it first. To erase go to Settings > System > Reset.
- On your Mac, launch Apple Configurator
- In your menu bar, open Apple Configurator 2 > Paired Devices…
- Select your Apple TV in the Paired Devices list, then click Pair
- On your Mac, enter the 6 digit pin that appears on the screen of your Apple TV
- Close Paired Devices window
Step 1 — Enable supervised mode on your Apple TV
Warning! This will erase your device!
- Launch Apple Configurator
- Connect your device to your Mac via USB-C cable (skip if using Ethernet pairing)
- Select your device
- Click ‘Prepare’ button
- Click ‘Next’ button
- Click ‘Next’ button, again:
- If you have already created your organization, select it here, if not, go ahead and select “New Organization”:
- If your organization is a member of Apple Device Enrollment program, log in here, if not, click ‘Skip’:
- Enter your organization name, click ‘Next’:
- Select ‘Generate a new supervision identity’ and click ‘Next’:
- Select the steps that would be available in Setup Assistant, if you’re using your Apple TV only for Digital Signage, the following settings would be OK:
- Click ‘Prepare’
- Use Touch ID or enter your password when requested
- If you get a message saying the device is already prepared, click ‘Erase’ to erase and prepare the device again.
Step 2 – Set up your device
- When the device is restarted, pair your remote by tapping on it
- Connect to your Wi-Fi network (if not using wired connection)
- Login in to your Apple ID (pro-tip: At this point, you can already use Apple TV Remote app or iOS 15 built-in Apple TV Remote for faster credential input)
Step 3 – Install POMP – digital signage
- Open App Store on your device and search and install POMP – digital signage
Step 4 – Enable Single App Mode on your Apple TV
- Go back to Apple Configurator 2 on your Mac, you should see your newly prepared device under ‘Supervised’ tab.
- Right-click on your Device and select ‘Advanced > Start Single App Mode…’
3. In the next window, select POMP – digital signage from the list and click ‘Select App’
4. Apple TV screen will flicker and POMP – digital signage will start.
5. Pair the device to your account and you’re done.